Process to Register Vehicle in West Bengal

Process to Register Vehicle in West Bengal

Their two types of registration: Temporary and Permanent. Temporary registration is allowed for the purpose of permanent registration for purchasers who stay in jurisdictions other than that of the dealer and also for body construction purposes in case of bus, trucks, etc. But, in order to drive any vehicle on road the same needs to be registered permanently.

Temporary registration is valid for 30 days only. Permanent registration is of permanent nature. The registration for non-transport is valid for 15 years from the date of registration and has to be renewed thereafter. The transport vehicles, however, needs to have a valid certificate of fitness, otherwise the registration is considered invalid.

  1. Whereto approach for vehicle registration?

You have to approach your local motor vehicles office of the Transport Department for registration of your vehicles.

  1. What is the procedure for registration of new vehicles?

The registration procedure includes the physical inspection of the vehicle to be registered by the Inspecting Authority at the motor vehicles office for its technical details. Thereafter, the Registering Authority will satisfy himself regarding the set of documents submitted for registration and thereafter shall issue a registration number for that motor vehicle. The documents required to apply for registration are as follows:-

  • Form 20 duly filled up.
  • Form 21 (Sale certificate) issued by the vehicle dealer.
  • Form 22 (Road worthiness certificate) issued by the manufacturer.
  • Valid vehicle insurance policy/cover note.
  • Copy of address proof of the owner (along with the original).
  • Form 34 duly signed by owner and the financier in case vehicle is bought on Hypothecation.
  • Proof of Garage Address (for Transport vehicles only).
  • Temporary Registration & related documents, if any.
  • Offer Letter (for Transport vehicles only).
  • Any other relevant documents.

3.Can dealers deliver vehicle without registration?

No, the dealer cannot deliver unregistered vehicles to the customers. The dealer will have to get the vehicle registered, either temporarily or permanently, in the name of customer first and only then can hand over the vehicle to the customer. If an un-registered vehicle is found plying on the road it will attract prosecution under MV Act. A trade certificate is issued to the dealers by the Transport Department to drive the unregistered vehicles, by their drivers, which are in their control and possession, up to the motor vehicle office for registration purposes.

  1. How the transfer of ownership of a vehicle can be done?

The transfer of ownership of a vehicle is to be applied in the concerned motor vehicle office where the vehicle is registered with and the following documents are to be submitted:-

  • Registration Certificate in original.
  • Form no.29 duly filled.
  • Form no.30 duly filled.
  • Attested Copy of valid insurance certificate (original to be shown).
  • Attested Copy of address proof of buyer (original to be shown).
  • Attested Copy of valid Pollution under Control Certificate (original to be shown).
  • Attested Copy of PAN cards of both the seller and the purchaser.
  • Prescribed fee.
  • Attested Copy of tax token.
  • Duly filled Form 34 and/or Form 35 in case of hypothecated cases.
  • Permits surrender slip from S.T.A./R.T.A. (For commercial vehicles).
  • Offer Letter in the name of the buyer (For commercial vehicles).
  • Attested Copy of Valid Fitness certificate (For commercial vehicles).

4A. Transfer of ownership in case of death of the registered owner

In such case the application is to be made by the legal heirs of the vehicle with the following set of documents.

  • Registration certificate in original
  • Form 31 duly filled along with NOC from financier wherever applicable.
  • Original copy of death certificate of the registered owner along with attested copy.
  • Succession Certificate, if any.
  • Certificate from local MP, MLA or senior government officers to that effect.
  • Affidavit by the applicant to this effect and also from all other legal heirs who may wish to relinquish their right in favour of the applicant.
  • Attested copy of address proof of Applicant.
  • Attested copies of valid PUCC/Insurance Certificate/PAN Card/Tax Token/Certificate of Fitness.
  • Prescribed fee.
  • Permits surrender slip issued by STA branch (For commercial vehicles).
  • Offer Letter in the name of the heir (For commercial vehicles).
  • Any other document that may be required by the Registering Authority.
  1. How can the hypothecation be endorsed or deleted?

If a vehicle is purchased on loan from a financier the same should be endorsed in the registration certificate. Similarly when the loan is repaid in full the fact of termination of hypothecation is also required to be endorsed.  The following documents are required for the same:

  • Registration certificate in original.
  • Form no.34 duly filled (for endorsement of Hypothecation).
  • Form no. 35 duly filled (for deletion of Hypothecation) in duplicate.
  • A certificate from financier for having retained full dues from the financier (for deletion case only)
  • Copies of valid insurance/pollution under control certificate/tax token.
  1. What is the procedure for recording change of address of motor vehicles?

If a registered owner of a vehicle shifts his address as recorded in the Registration Certificate, he must apply for recording of the new address, after obtaining a N.O.C in Form – 28 from the previous registering authority. In cases where such change of address is from one state to another, then the registration number will have to be changed to a local registration number also. The documents required are as under:

  • Registration Certificate in original.
  • Form 28 (NOC in duplicate).
  • Form 27, in case of other state vehicles.
  • Form 20.
  • Attested copy of address proof (original to be produced).
  • Attested copies of valid insurance/pollution under control certificate.
  • NOC from traffic police or enforcement wing of transport department.
  • Fitness certificate, in case of transport vehicles.
  • Tax Token in original.
  • Garage Address proof (in case of transport vehicle).
  • O.C. from financier, where applicable.

Note: Such registrations of vehicle are subject to clearance from National Crime Record Bureau. In case of Kolkata Metropolitan Area, change of address can be applied in case of BS III compliant vehicles only.

  1. What is the procedure for issuing N.O.C for other state?

If a registered owner of a vehicle intends to take his vehicle to some other state & get the new address recorded there, he has to apply for NOC on prescribed form-28. The following required formalities are to be completed.

  • Application in form 28 (in Quadruplicate).
  • Original registration certificate.
  • Evidence of payment of road tax up-to-date.
  • Valid PUC and Valid Insurance.
  • NOC from traffic police or enforcement wing of transport department.
  • Any other document required by Registering Authority.
  • NOC from financier in case the vehicle is hypothecated.
  1. What is the Renewal of Registration of private (non-transport) vehicles?

As per Act registration of any private vehicle is done for a maximum period of 15 yrs. After completion of 15 yrs every registered owner is required to get the registration of his vehicle renewed and following documents are required:

  • Application in form 25.
  • Registration certificate in original.
  • Proof for the payment of up-to-date road tax paid.
  • Copies of insurance certificate/pollution under control certificate.
  • Copy of address proof.

The vehicle is to be brought to the local office for inspection of its road worthiness and if the vehicle is found to be fit for use on the roads; the renewal of registration is allowed for a period of five years at a time.

  1. What is the procedure for issue of duplicate registration certificate?

Any registered owner can apply for a duplicate registration certificate in cases where the original one is either, lost, damaged or mutilated by submitting the following documents:

  • Application on form 26 (in duplicate and with the endorsement from the financier, if hypothecated).
  • Original copy of the F.I.R.
  • Copies of valid insurance policy/pollution under control certificate/tax token.
  • NOC from traffic police & Enforcement wing Transport Department.
  • Affidavit in support of the application.

10.How the transfer of ownership is carried out if the vehicle is purchased in public auctions?

Any person who has acquired a vehicle at a public auction conducted by or on behalf of the state or central Govt. shall apply before the registering authority having jurisdiction, immediately and accompanied by the following documents:

  • Application in form 32.
  • Form 20.
  • Certificate of registration in original, in case of registered vehicle.
  • Original Sale certificate issued by the Auctioning Authority in favour of the new owner of the vehicle.
  • The certified copy of the order of the Sate or Central Govt. authority who auctioned the vehicle.
  • Proof of date of delivery of the vehicle.
  • Attested copies of insurance in favour of purchaser/pollution under control certificate.
  • Attested copy (by Gazetted Officer) of address proof.
  • Registration or Transfer of Ownership fee, as may be applicable.
  • Any other document as may be required.